Shop Grrls

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Squirrel: I Stab at Thee With Hairsticks

Hairsticks, despite seeming like a quick and easy way to add to our line, are a PAIN in the REAR. Why? Because I can not do anything simple. It is not enough to have a little glass filled with pretty wooden hairsticks. NO. They must be PAINTED. And in order to be painted, they must be VARNISHED. After several nights of working on these sticks, I have finally finished with the painting part. It takes an average of three layers of paint to get it thick enough to not show the wood through the paint. And another layer of decorative color, whether it be a full coat of metallic over a flat color, or just a painted design slapped on the ends. Actually, the painted designs turned out to be a bigger pain than just putting on an extra layer of color. Because I am OCD. Anyways, there is an extra two coats of varnish over the paint, and the bottom layer of varnish has to be sanded in order to make the top layer stick. Tonight, I am forsaking the stringing of tags in order to put beads on all of the sticks. It shouldn't take too long, but I'll be glad when they're done. I hope that they will sell, because that means a return on my time investment (in the form of money). I also hope that they don't sell, because dear god I don't want to have to do these again anytime soon. They are terribly pretty, I love that they turned out so well, but they are a PAIN.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home